POSITION: DOMICILIARY CARE WORKER
RESPONSIBLE TO: REGISTERED MANAGER
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
- To enable and/or assist individuals to remain in the community, to be supported and maintained safely in their own homes and thereby enhance the quality of life
- Encouraging the independence and individuality of the service user • Promoting choice and obtaining consent at all times
- Assisting other Care Workers and professionals to provide care to the Service User
- Being the face of our company within the community and acting as our representative
1) To visit nominated Service Users, at times directed by the Care coordinators and management
- To be vigilant for any sign of distress or anxiety in the Service User; any deterioration in physical and/or mental health, or safety of the environment, and to report these as a matter of urgency to your manager.
- To carry out all tasks in a way that demonstrates respect for the privacy, dignity and value of all users irrespective of severity, disability or other personal circumstance.
- To summon appropriate assistance in an emergency. All actions should sustain, support and enhance the independence of Service Users, as specified in their plan of care.
2) Personal Care tasks (only where specified in the Service Users plan of care and subject to appropriate review)
- Assist Service Users in/out of bed, chairs etc using agreed procedures.
- Assist Service Users in dressing/undressing, care of aids and personal equipment (hearing aids, glasses, dentures, prosthesis etc).
- Assist Service Users in all aspects of personal hygiene i.e. washing, showering, bathing, hair wash, shaving, perineal care etc.
- Assist Service Users in preparing a meal of their choice and assisting the Service User to eat if specified in their plan of care.
- Assist Services Users to prepare drinks and encourage them to stay adequately hydrated.
- Assist Service Users to access toilet facilities, emptying commodes and the changing of, and disposal of continence products, using agreed Health and Safety and Infection Control procedures.
- Encourage the Service User to remain as independent as far as is possible and support them to maximise their own abilities and skills.
3) Domestic tasks where specified in the Service Users plan of care
- Where directed, maintain cleanliness of the Service Users home, whilst following Health and Safety guidelines.
- Undertake essential shopping where directed.
- Assist with the preparing of meals where directed following safe working practice
4) Social • Actively encourage Service Users, according to capabilities, to participate in all aspects of daily living.
- Develop and maintain personal contact with the Service User through talking, listening and using effective communication.
- Provide support as part of a caring team, liaising with other care staff, agencies or other outside professionals when required.
5) Collaboration with other agencies
- Assist the management to maintain good relationships with other personnel involved in the care of the Service User, i.e. Community Nurses, Social Workers, GP, District Nurses etc
6) General Duties
- As required, maintain accurate, legible records – including the Service Users Daily Log and Medication Administration Record.
- Maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Advise Service User of the complaints procedure as appropriate.
- Participate in all Mandatory Training and attend other training as required.
- Comply with all legal requirements, National Minimum Standards and Health and Safety legislation.
- Complete any other duties that reasonably fall within the scope of your role.
- Be committed and promote Equal Opportunities at all times in relation to both Service Users and your colleagues.
- To comply with the policies and procedures of Triband at all times.
- Be aware that at times it may be necessary to change your rota at short notice – this is to ensure continuity of care for our Service Users